Design Inspirations Q&A: Heather Moore of Skinny Laminx

Meet Heather Moore! She's the Cape Town, South Africa designer and illustrator behind Skinny Laminx. If you don't know Skinny Laminx, visit their etsy site and check out their amazing collection at Heath Ceramics. I first became inspired by Heather on the Elle Decoration South Africa Blog and then I stumbled upon her Skinny Laminx Blog. Heather keeps me constantly inspired with her quirky and stylish finds, along with sharing a great line of home accessories. There is true talent behind this blogger and designer and it shows! Ladies and Gentleman, meet Heather Moore...



Q.  What is your favorite design blog? You don’t have to name just one!
A.  I've always enjoyed the eclectic coverage of design from Design*Sponge - it's lead me in such interesting directions. Also, I'm very grateful for all the amazing publicity I've received on that blog!

Q.  What is your favorite interior designer?
A.  I'm not sure I could live in one of his interiors, but I really do enjoy the fun and irreverent approach of Jonathan Adler.

Q.  What is your favorite fashion designer?
A.  My friend Alexandra Hojer. She's a Swedish gal living in Cape Town with amazing style and committment to using excellent fabrics.

Q.  What current design trend do you love right now?
A.  I'm enjoying the way people like Ilse Crawford are using beautiful materials and making furniture that is practical, useful and excellent. In fact, the current celebration of the artisanal way of making things is hopefully one that will be more than just a trend.

Q.  Where do you look for inspiration? 
A.  I am very inspired by people who do whatever they do with a definite focus and a commitment to excellence. That is how I would like to do the things I do.

Q.  What music inspires you?
A.  I love vocal harmonies, whether they're sung by Simon and Garfunkel, The Byrds, Gillian Walsh and David Rawlings, or in more formal music like JS Bach's The Messiah, or Arvo Part's glass shard vocal arrangements.

Q.  What was your favorite splurge for your home?
A.  It must be our Ercol sofa, which was such a lucky find after years and years of looking. I suspect it's probably a knockoff, even though it's beautifully made, as it has 6 legs instead of 4, but still, I adore that thing.

Q.  What was your best frugal find?
A.  Our Murano glass orange lampshade in the living room. We bought it years ago at a car boot sale for just R2.00 (about $0.30). I thought the guy said R200.00 at first, but it was R2.00. What a thrill.

Q.  Do you have a design pet peeve? 
A.  I can't stand tables designed especially for a computer. I'm working at one now and it's hideous. Takes up far too much space and really, all a computer needs is a desk.

Q.  What is your color of choice right now?
A.  I keep buying things in apple green.

Q.  Where is your favorite place to read a good book or catch up on your blog reads?
A.  Lying on the floor with big cushions. Bliss.

Thank you for sharing you inspirations with us, Heather!! Nest Interior Design is a huge fan!